It is with great pleasure that we welcome you to our great club. We pride ourselves on providing a family environment Members of the St. Peters Lacrosse Club formed Glenelg Lacrosse Club in 1936.
Our grounds have been Camden Oval (1936), Wigley Reserve (1937-1997) and Barratt Reserve (1998-Present). We moved from Wigley Reserve due to redevelopment of the Glenelg foreshore and are now located at Barratt Reserve in the West Beach Trust (Adelaide Shores) area.
Glenelg won it's first Men's League (A Grade) premiership in 1976 and followed up in 1979, 1984, 1988, 1989, 2004 and 2006. The Women's League has won five of the last six premierships (1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000), following previous wins in 1989 and 1993.
For many years Glenelg has had a "sister club" relationship with Surrey Park Lacrosse Club in Victoria, alternating visits to each other to play lacrosse and other sporting games.
The first matches played in 1936 were at the Camden Motor Drome, where there were no change-rooms available.
Glenelg Lacrosse Club moved to Wigley Reserve in 1937 sharing "the use of the unlined, sand floored, galvanised iron shed of the St Leonards Football Club with its cold showers". It was not until 1967 that Dr John Thompson, then president of Glenelg Lacrosse Club, in discussion with other past and present members, suggested that the Glenelg Council might give favourable consideration if they were approached for permission to build independent clubrooms. The project was approved in principle by the Council on 18 April, 1967 and on 22 December, 1967 the site received final approved by Council. The total cost of the single storey building was estimated at $6,830 and the foundations were laid on 15 April, 1968. On 22 September, 1968 the building was dedicated to members of the Glenelg Lacrosse Club who lost their lives in World War II.
In 1977, with increasing membership, the single storey club was quickly becoming too small. Discussions for a second storey began with the Glenelg Council in May, 1977. "On 10th April, 1978 plans for the extensions were brought together for the first time at a meeting at Dr John Thompson's home." "The official opening took place on Sunday, 22nd April, 1979".
Due to the redevelopment of the Glenelg foreshore, Glenelg Lacrosse Club was allocated the use of land within the West Beach Trust area at Barrett Reserve. The foundations for the new clubrooms were laid on 9 April, 1998 and the framework commenced on 14 April.
Glenelg Lacrosse Club has a long and proud tradition of our player excelling at both State and national Australian team levels. This includes producing a large proportion of U15 zone teams members on girls and boys side (see picture attached) U18 state teams, Senior state teams and multiple Australian team representatives across all levels; U19 World Championships, U23 Asia Pacific Championships and senior World Championships, across both men and women. Furthermore we have produced pathways for a number of players to play in the NCAA college system in USA.